1.09.2010

REALISTICALLY SPEAKING




Finally, an author after my own heart. In Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America, Barbara Ehrenreich covers all matters from cancer to the economy. It may sound somewhat depressing, but she does not, as one may assume, promote negative thinking. She urges individuals to gather as much information as possible before forming a concrete opinion and to take a realistic approach to life decisions. In short, look on the bright side and you may be blind sided.


"Some of the studies (Barbara) Held has reviewed even concluded that negative traits like pessimism can be healtheir in the long run than optimism and happiness."
(1)

I have long defended my realistic approach to life, usually to positive thinkers that label me a Negative Nelly and now I can say I am actually the healthier one. "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" that has been my motto for as long as I can remember. But a funny turn of events has occurred since reading this book, I have adopted. . .a positive attitude (pause for gasps). The only way I can reason this about face is what I refer to as 'the rebel without a cause syndrome'. I have suffered from this affliction for sometime, not always to my benefit. There is a fine line between someone telling me I can't do something (to which I will most likely agree, defeatism and realism fit together well) and someone telling me that I shouldn't do something (to which I will immediately think it is a good idea). Now that I have some facts on why I shouldn't be a positive thinker, I have decided to give it a try. Odd, I know.

All in all, I salute Barbara Ehrenreich for delving into the realm of realism and for bucking the popular ideal. It is never a bad idea to question the norm. However, in the words of my dear friend Jessica, "Be positive, it's better than the alternative."

Toodles from the bright side.

(1)Barbara Ehrenreich, Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America(New York: Metropolitan Books, 2009 ),162.

No comments: