1.11.2010

ROUGH DAY





















(Steph, Adam, and Baby Lane)



Today is one of those days that makes it tough to live away from home. My friend Steph lost her grandad, his funeral is today. I hate that I cannot be there for her. I want to give her a hug, buy her a sheet cake and a bottle of wine, clean her house, cook her dinner, play with the kiddos, do anything that may ease those daily routines that are never the same after the loss of a loved one. Fortunately, I know she is surrounded by an abundance of love and support.

Steph is a hero of mine, not only for her loyalty and wit, but also for her selflessness in a world of looking out for #1ers. Mottoes of selfishness promote the idea of caring for ourselves before we can care for others. Which I agree with to an extent, but in a crisis, that concept becomes a luxury. It was a luxury that Steph did not afford herself when her grandparents became ill. With a full time job, two beautiful kiddos and a supportive hubs at home she made the time to care for her Grammy and Pops. Even on her days off she made the trek to Hot Springs to check on them, pick up prescriptions, walk their dog, whatever needed to be done. She gave them her time, of which she did not have much to spare. She will never have regrets that maybe she could have done more. That is the side of the coin I wish for everyone.

Nothing in life prepares us for great loss.

My heart is with Steph and her family today and all the days to follow.

2 comments:

stephanie said...

Kristin, I'm not sure how really selfless i have been but thank you for your acknowledgement of my situation. I think you are one of the few people that realize how much of a loss this really is. It's more like losing a father than a grandfather. Thank you and love you.

Healthy Skin Enthusiast said...

You have been selfless and I admire you for that, among many other characteristics. I so wish I could be there, I miss you tons. Love you.