8.05.2010

ONE YEAR LATER. . .



It's hard to believe a year has gone by since we unpacked our Penske and embarked on a new life in the grand city of Chicago. What amazing things take place in only 365 days, big and small.

I have come a long way from the fearful smalltownista paying for my first solo cab ride with sweaty palms. Hopping the Red Line is no longer an anxiety riddled experience, but a daily occurance which allows me to read my newest book in peace, well minus the gospel ranting rider and the occassional stranger animately and feverently talking to themselves.




I learned early on that donning a wrap dress in the Windy City does not bode well for anyone involved (mostly moi)and Southern Charm proves to be dangerous without proper precaution. To my surprise, toilet paper can be found and purchased easily, yes, this was an actual concern of mine. Many small lessons have been learned accompanied by many adjustments having been made, and while I cannot say it's been a graceful transition I can pat myself on the back for having adjusted at all.

Then there are the big things! My entrepreneurial spirit soars as the new owner and operator of Pelle Sana Salon. A 'meant to be' tale of how life comes together in ways we never expect and how the universe provides when we are open to its abundance. A tale for another time perhaps! Needless to say, the city came alive once I had something of my own to strive towards.

While I'm not exactly city savvy...yet, I'm getting there. If there is anything I do quickly it is finding my comfort zone, but I figure year one is all about the basics. Check back next year, maybe I will have ventured further into the fruits of city livin'.

Forever a Smalltownista at heart I still miss home and crave the oddest experiences. What I would give to open a car door and feel a blast of fire breathing dragon heat on my face and sit on molten lava leather seats, roll the windows down until the steering wheel is cool enough to touch, then drive through Sonic for a Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper after loading my trunk with 2 weeks worth of groceries. It's amazing the things you miss in 365 days, big and small.

What have you experienced in the last year, big or small?

Toodles!

1 comment:

Amber said...

My life has changed a lot in 365 days...I never thought a year ago that I would be moving to Alaska...of all places :) I was "settled" in Little Rock, but not sure I wanted to be. I am putting it all out there hoping to find my happily ever after and experience the most beautiful parts of the country at the same time. I was so attached to my routine and my house that I never thought I would be able to leave, but I sold my house and resigned from my teaching position. Today I continue to count down the days until I try to pack as much of who I am in my car and drive to my new life. Its kind of scary and exhilarating at the same time. I am going to be surprised how much the little things are going to be missed the most. I am already going through Sonic withdrawal even thinking that I won't be able to hit up happy hour...It's a life I never dreamed about, but am so blessed to be living.