6.02.2009

OVERCOMING GYMOPHOBIA

Aside from the occasional strenuous Yoga Session, I have not worked out a day in my adult life. I attribute my lack of physical fitness to what I have dubbed gymophobia. Whether it's being in the throws of a quarter life crisis or a high school reunion looming, I can't say, but at the ripe age of late twenties it is time to face my fear of gyms. In order to get over my fear of 'working out' in general, I took a deep breath and jumping in, all the way in.

Two weeks ago I signed up for Boot Camp, that's right, not just paid for a gym membership (that I would never use), but Boot Camp. And I must say, so far I am totally digging it and look forward to my 3 nights a week class and have yet to skip out on one yet. YAY!!!



You may be wondering, how does one develop gymophobia, not be confused with gymNophobia (a fear of nudity). All I know for sure is this, my dad's side of the family comes from a long line of not liking to sweat, publically anyway. And by long line, I am mostly referring to my sister and myself. For years I have built up an overwhelming fear of gyms due to grand ideas of sweating, germs, sweating, heavy breathing, sweating, hopped up egos, sweating. In my adult years it has always seemed to me that sweating and heavy breathing should be left to more private, er, intimate situations. Need I say more. Slowly, but surely I am easing my way out of my comfort zone and into a whole new world.

Okay, so my Boot Camp class is not technically in the gym, it's next door, but it does include heavy sweating along with heavy breathing, cardio, weights, resistance bands, and other various 'working out' paraphanalia. The class is conducted in a group format, meaning all of this is being done in public, 6 people = in public.

My next big concern, after the previously mentioned public sweating, was that I was absolutely clueless about what attire one dons for the gym. Imagine my surprise when signing up for my class in my TranquiliT Yoga Togs, my instructor informs moi that "pants are not a good idea." So, what you are telling me is I cannot wear pants, which means I need to wear shorts. Yep. I wear shorts once a year and it's at the fam's annual day at the local amusement park (tried a sun dress once, bad idea). I immediately put a call in to my super toned, rocking post baby bod, non gymophobic friend, Marci, pleading for advice. Left to my own devices, I opted for long shorts, not quite pants, not quite shorts, lorts maybe. Not sure, but certainly not the most flattering, however still better than short shorts, thanks to my years in retail never heeding my mother's advice on support hose, hello spider veins. Pass on the short shorts, thanks.

Here's the deal, does it really matter what attire one dons for the gym, I mean remember the public sweating. Nobody cares, nobody is worried about you, what you are wearing or if you even remotely know what you are doing. I already feel accomplished just by having signed up for the class, and by myself mind you, no yanking friends or fam in the mix to have a hand to hold. Just me and my lorts, facing gymophobia head on and hoping to make it to the finish line a little healthier and more energetic. So far, so good.

Maybe it just makes me feel better about myself, but I still feel certain that my sister (inspired me to sign up for Boot Camp b/c she signed on w/ a personal trainer) and I are not the only ones out there with gymophobia, a.k.a. fear of the unknown, because that is what it really boils down to. Not wanting to feel stupid because I am out of shape, uncoordinted, and wouldn't know how to work a button on a treadmill if the instructions were tatted on my palm has been a bigger factor even than those I mentioned earlier. Just in case any of you are in the market for overcoming your fear, wanting to be a healthier you, here are some tips I have gathered along this way overdue journey:

*Hit up a Yoga Studio, they are usually more inviting and less intimidating than a gym and still a great place to meet people and to get in shape.

*Coerce a friend, fam, or co-worker to join you if you feel uneasy about working out alone.

*Down plenty of water and toss in some EmergenC for an added boost.

*Day 2 after working out is by far the worst. Worse than day one? Yes, considerably. Be sure to stretch, take a walk, clean house, wash the car, or anything along the lines of moving to keep your muscles from tightening up to unbearable soreness.

*Reward yourself post workout with a nice soak in a bubble bath or epsom salt bath, I prefer mine with a few drops of essential oil (peppermint &/or eucalyptus are fab).

*Try to avoid rewards such as a nice big cocktail, slice of chocolate cake, etc.

*Once you take note of higher energy levels, you will be even less concerned w/ inches and just be thrilled to be feeling better on a daily basis.

*It may take a few weeks to see visible results, so focus on your higher energy until you really start to see your efforts paying off in your closet. Hello skinny jeans!!! (I have yet to confirm this one, will keep you posted.)

Happy Fear Facing!!!

No comments: